Thursday, January 26, 2012

Disconnect While Connecting

After reading WIlliam Power's book, "Hamlet's Blackberry" a certain point to me stuck out like a sore thumb; Chapter Nine, titled "Inventing Your Life." The chapter's first paragraph goes on to talk about how no-email Fridays would be a successful way to go about our business week. For just one day a week, we completely disconnect ourselves via email/technology and allow more personal interactions to arise.
Powers' discusses that it echos the casual Friday act that everyone so quickly responded to in a positive manner. I, however, think disconnecting would be relaxing although initially stressful. In fact, on page 163 it reads, "man is a sociable being, and it is... one of the worst punishments to be excluded from society." Powers could not have worded it any better. Although, i do not have any book or movie to reference, I do have personal knowledge as well as a credible educational background that backs me up when I say, we as a individuals need society. There is no way to go around it. In our society, no-email Friday is more of a management problem than not enough cokes in the vending machines. We are dependent upon communication with one another. In the present day, we get emails constantly throughout the day. A few years ago, it wasn't uncommon to hear back from someone by the end of the day if you emailed them in the morning. However, if I got an email today, I can almost guarantee that individual will have a  response within at least one hour, sometimes one minute if I am on my computer. I understand that Powers' thinks that this type of solution will help you invent yourself by causing you to network and interact on a face-to-face basis but I think more people will get frustrated than relieved. Overall, I think no-email Friday would be a positive way to invent your life like Powers suggest. Although i hate to say it, I just dont think it is a realistic option for today's society. Especially for the Gen-Y era whom are constantly multitasking and attempting (key word) to do five things at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment