Thursday, February 2, 2012

It's All Political


Since a young age I have been taught the Golden Rule: treat others the way you want to be treated. And for majority of my life, I would like to think that I have followed this rule and kept up my end of the deal. But what happens when I am not the one deciding how people deserve to be treated. If everyone is nice to each individual they come across, assuming they don’t want to be treated badly, then the world would be nice and dandy place. WRONG. That isn't exactly realistic. That’s why we have villains and bullies and just your average grumpy people; the world isn't perfect. I guess my question is: when Mill's Principle of Utility is put into play, how do we know who is coming up on the good end of the deal? The principle states that we should "seek the greatest happiness for the aggregate whole." So are you just S.O.L if you're not in the majority whole?

This immediately reminds me of political campaigns. Every four years we have someone “x” amount of people run for office and only one person becomes President of the United States. What if you didn’t vote for this person? What if you don’t believe in his or her morals and background? I suppose you just have to wait until the next four years. Realistically, there is no way to please everyone but in our society I suppose we try to do what is best for the largest amount, that way you piss of the least amount of people possible. Seems pretty political if you ask me.

To learn more about Mill’s Principles please visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment